Friday, September 5, 2008

Snorkeling

We went snorkeling everyday and took tons of pictures. There were just hundreds of fish everywhere. They weren't even really bothered we were there. One even followed us around for a while. It was funny. The pictures don't really do justice to the vibrant colors of the fish and coral. Kona is a lot of lava rock which underwater the coral attaches to and grows and grows. We saw tons of different types of fish, moray eels and I even held a sea cucumber. It was really squishy :) We also saw tons of sea turtles both in and out of the water. They were at every place we went. They are federally protected and you aren't allowed to touch them but when they swim right past you who is going to know right?! They were incredible to watch swimming around and eating. One day at the Lagoon in the hotel, we were watching one swim a few feet away and I lifted my head up to talk to Ken, and when I put my face back in the water the turtle was right there in my face! He actually bumped into my mask. I was so shocked and screamed and kicked my legs back which made my legs cramp and then I had to roll over and have Ken stretch them out. The turtle just swam off thinking what a weirdo... it was really funny :) Although most of Kona is lava, we were able to find some really nice beaches. The water was so clear and warm. Good thing because that is where we spent most of our time!! We both came home rather tan actually.

0 comments: